Friday, August 8, 2014

Earthquakes, Texting and Mangos in Escazu







“Earthquake,” Steve shouted, bounding out of our bed and jumping into action.  Grabbing Marina from her bedroom, he threw her onto his lap and entrenched himself in her doorway.  “Grab Benji!”

It was 2:50 in the morning, and we had moved to Costa Rica three days earlier.  Minutes before, my dreams were interrupted; not by the usual car alarms, roosters or baying hounds, but by a 4.4 on the Richter scale.

I made my way down the treacherous, winding staircase, sans glasses, which I cursed myself for leaving on my nightstand.   I wended my way into Benji’s small room/cave, and saw him lying there like Sleeping Beauty, stone asleep.  I shook him tenderly.  He didn’t move.  “Benji,” I whispered.  “Earthquake, Sweetie, come sit with me in the doorway.”   I half dragged him out of bed, and he continued to snore while I waited for aftershocks.  When none came after a few minutes, I dumped him back in bed.  

Steve and I lay wide awake for an hour or two afterward that night.

In the morning, Benji was surprised to hear that there had been an earthquake.
 ___________________________________________________________________________
As an incentive to move to another country, leave their friends, and start over again in a new place –we offered our twins a carrot:   Cell phones for all!    Marina was truly ecstatic about her new phone.  She remarked:  “Now I’m going to call all of my friends and talk for hours.   Wait.  I wish I had some friends here.”   Wow.  That’s so sad, isn’t it?

Instead, we suggested that she take advantage of the introductory offer of three days of free texting.  “Who will I text?”  she asked.  Well, the only folks whose number you have:  your family! 

Thus began the waterfall of texts that we received every few minutes.  “Where r u?”, “I’m in my bedroom.”, “I have shelves in my closet,” and a hundred other fascinating insights.  Just wait ‘til we let her get a Facebook account.  I’m sure the updates will be scintillating.


In our yard, on our walk to school, and in the school courtyard, mangos drip from the trees in luscious bouquets.  The school maintenance staff showed the kids how to pick up buggy, green mangos; launch them with force and good aim at the tree; and then delight in the fallen treasures.

The staff at Country Day School has been so welcoming, professional and accommodating.  And they’re not even paying me to say that.  Today, Benji and Marina helped me place hundreds of books into my classroom bookshelves.  So many books, so many students, so great to be living in Costa Rica!