Sunday, August 24, 2014

Drinkable Yogurt and One Gigantic Spider in the Sink

This is the palm-sized spider Steve found in the sink the other morning.  He woke me at 6 am, proclaiming.  "Holy cow!  You gotta see this thing!"  Really?!   I do not get up for spiders.   Steve flicked it into a pot with a spatula, ran outside and proclaimed himself a hero of epic proportions.  Hooray for Steve!

------------------------------------
Most products here are more expensive here than we imagined they would be.  Our grocery bill this week was $160, where in the States, it was usually about 80 bucks.  Housing is about the same here in Escazu as in Seattle, with a modest 2+ bedroom  apartment renting for more than $1100.

But labor is inexpensive, so much so that we are relishing the opportunity to be pampered by having a part-time maid/cook.

Also cheap:  Anything that comes in a jug or a squeeze packet.   Our particular favorite is the Ducal "Squeezie Beans"  (according to me), which are convenient and delicious, although I think they look a bit like brown toothpaste, and Benji has compared the squeezie beans  to a bodily function that only and 11 year old would think of (okay, and maybe his dad, too).

 Steve, Benji and I played a bit of Texas Hold-Em the other evening, and in lieu of beer, we chugged out of an enormous jug of liquid yogurt.  Yum!   When I won a hand, I gloated, and Steve commented, "So what.  You can beat an 11 year old and a known loser!"   In the end, Benji took his parents for everything they had.
!


3 comments:

  1. A palm-sized spider - gives me the heebie-jeebies just visualizing it!

    Why are spiders always in the sink? Do they come in through the drains, or do they fall in and get stuck?

    I have an idea for the next time this spider comes to visit - put it on your palm and take a photo. Or put a ruler next to it. Not that I really want to see another spider photo...but maybe I do. And it would be cool to have some more visual context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just gone through all your posts...wow sounds like you are getting comfortable. I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear there's an up-and-coming card shark in the family! Looks like a great adventure...

    Randy

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment: